Key Messages of the BMBF Research Focus "Plastics in the Environment"
This publication condenses the central results of five years of research in 20 projects and seven cross-sectional topics on "Plastics in the Environment", on 50 pages. Structured according to key topics, the central results are presented in order to derive recommendations for various addressees:
1. Sources and pathways of plastics in the environment
2. Ecotoxicological assessment of microplastics as a complex task
3. Plastics in wastewater: detection, investigation, removal
4. Plastics in soils: inputs, behavior and fate
5. Companies need to take more responsibility
6. Not yet efficient enough: waste management and recycling
7. How municipalities can help to reduce plastic emissions
8. Limited options: What influence do consumers have?
9. Significant progress in microplastics analysis
10. Legal recommendations for reducing plastic emissions
An accompanying short version summarizes the most important key messages. The brochure is structured along the life cycle of plastics and covers five areas: Green Economy, Consumption, Recycling, Fresh-water Ecosystems, and Saltwater Ecosystems.
Download: Kernbotschaften des BMBF-Forschungsschwerpunkts "Plastik in der Umwelt – Quellen · Senken · Lösungsansätze" [German]
Download short version: Key Messages of the BMBF Research Focus "Plastics in the Environment"
» Website of the Research Focus "Plastics in the Environment – Sources • Sinks • Solutions"
» Brochure: Compendium Plastics in the Environment
» Fact sheet series: Plastics in the Environment – Sources • Sinks • Solutions" (PlastikNet)
» Infographic: Are Microplastics Harmful? The ecotoxicological assessment of microplastics in the environment is a complex task
» BLOG: Plastik in der Umwelt. Wissenschaftliche Erkenntnisse zu Quellen, Verbreitung, Wirkung und Aufbereitung von Kunststoffen [German]
» Quiz: Plastic in the Environment – What do you know?
» Document: Microplastics Analytics
» Event: Plastics in the Environment (PlastikNet) – Webinar Series
» Event: Theme Day: Plastic in the Environment
Contact at Ecologic Institute:
Ecologic Institute is an independent, academic think tank for environmental research and policy analysis. Since its founding in 1995, Ecologic Institute has been dedicated to improving environmental policy, sustainable development and policy practice. We strengthen the European and international dimensions in research, education and environmental policy discourse.